dimanche 20 février 2011

Week 5

Well it has been a whole week since I last blogged.  There weren't really a whole lot of new things that happened in the past week.  Classes are okay, internship is still boring but the weather is beginning to become more and more beautiful.  One morning I did decide to count how many piles of dog poop that I saw.  I started counting after I got off the bus in the morning and counted on my walking way to class.  13 piles.  That is right.  I only counted going one way so as not to count a pile twice.  The owners of the dogs don't feel is is their responsibility to take care of the mess, so each night the city is hosed down with water. Quite disgusting.  The other thing that I hate here are the birds.  They are not afraid of people.  One day I literally had to stop and let the bird pass.  I realized how sad it was that I stepped out of my way for a dirty bird.
Friday morning I didn't have anything to do, so I walked around in the morning and then met friends for lunch.  We went to a small restaurant with seating out in the sun.  After awhile of sitting there, the sun quickly began to hide behind the tall walls of the buildings making it quite chilly.  The streets were made for this purpose...to keep the city cooler in the summer.  I chose one of the Plat du Jour which was chicken with indian spices, which unfortunately wasn't spicy whatsoever, but was still pretty good. It came with potatoes, sliced carrots, green-ish beans and mushrooms.  Then for dessert I had Panna Cotta.  It came in a small glass, on the bottom was a thick cream, and then the top was a tart raspberry purée.  Quite amazing!!!
Then yesterday, Saturday, I woke up and did some homework.  In the afternoon I was in the mood to craft.  Unfortunately I didn't bring anything with me, so I decided to go in search of a cheap craft option.  I remembered that there is a used book store in Montpellier that sells books for as cheap as 20 cents.  I went there and bought a few books with some good pictures in them, some tape and a glue stick.  When I got home I asked to borrow scissors (I was going to buy some but the cheapest good scissors that I found were 8 euros!).  So I spent some of the afternoon making some of my homemade envelopes from pages of the books.
After about an hour of crafting my host mom asked me if I wanted to go grocery shopping so that I could make my meal that evening.  So we went to the store and picked up the necessary ingredients to make Sloppy Joes.  She and her husband had somewhere to go for the evening so I was cooking dinner for their three kids and one of their friends.  I did a pretty good job, and they tasted quite like true american sloppy joes!  They loved them and told me that they tasted very "american" whatever that means :)Chris and I spent the evening doing our taxes and tried everything possible to make them enjoyable.  Turns out that being married and still in school makes taxes enjoyable for young couples!
Today we had a young couple over for lunch.  They brought their month old baby girl named Ninon.  We started with a spinach salad with beets and hardboiled eggs.  Then we had the main course which was Cardon (which is artichoke thistle and very good!).  It was in a white sauce.  Then we had veal in some sort of sauce as well, and rice. Of course after that we had cheese.  For dessert we had the choice of coconut flan or fruit cake.  I tried the coconut flan....it was amazing!
I am sorry that my week wasn't more exciting...But I am very excited for this coming week because at the end of it Chris will be here!!  Yay!! I can't believe that the first break is almost here!!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire