mercredi 9 février 2011

Gigagym

For those who have seen the youtube video for giga pudding, you will be happy to know that in France there is a "giga gym."  I hope that it doesn't make you jiggle like the pudding!!

I finally figured out what "traditional american meal" I am going to make for my family....Sloppy Joes!!!! I was going to make that with my mom's corn casserole as a side dish, but they don't have sour cream in France, so I am still on the lookout for a good side dish to go along with the sloppy joes.  Any ideas are welcome!!!

As I have stated before, my host family enjoys having friends come over.  Yesterday, they had friends come over for lunch and my mom make a "cake."  "Gâteau" is the french word for cake, but "cake" is fruit cake.  French people seem to have a minor obsession with fruit cake.  It seems that fruit cake in the US is the gift that people give around Christmas, and most people never eat...

I had my first english slip up this past weekend.  Wasn't a big deal, but made me laugh.  I was walking to the bus stop listening to my music and I passed my host family in his wheelchair.  And naturally I let out a big  "Helllloooo!!!!!" from across the street.  After realizing my mistake I quickly recovered and said a simple "bonjour" and continued on my way. :)

Yesterday was a good day, as far as things go.  It was the first day where my progress in my french was recognizable. Needless to say, I was quite proud of myself.  I had done well on a placement test for my translation class, I had an intelligent conversation with my host mom, and I enjoyed watching the news because I understood most of what was being said!  Yay!! It was also the first day that though it is still far in the future, there are some things that I will miss about France.  Like the annoying music that they play at the beginning of the 8 o'clock news that makes everything feel rushed and anxious.  The variant of smells here : fresh pastries, cigarette smoke, dog poop, baguettes, etc.  I will miss the bus rides where twice a day I get to just sit, think and listen to music.  I will miss the 5 course dinners (not always....)

Tomorrow I start my internship.  I am both nervous and excited about it.  I just have to remind myself that this is something that I want to do.  I get to volunteer, and get to practice my french even more. I will profit from this!

That's all for now!!

2 commentaires:

  1. Down the road when you return, and are missing the smells of France, I'll have just the job for you!! ;-)

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Do they have yogurt? You could substitute plain yogurt for the sour cream in the corn casserole.

    Aunt B

    RépondreSupprimer